POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : [Bug?] Radiosity, recursion > 1 : [Bug?] Radiosity, recursion > 1 Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  [Bug?] Radiosity, recursion > 1
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 21 Sep 2001 12:51:24
Message: <3BAB71AF.B0F503CA@reading.ac.uk>
System: POV-Ray for Windows v3.5b2, Windows NT4 sp6, AMD Athlon 1GHz,
256 megs SDRam

I know radiosity is considered experimental, but I thought I would
report my observation.

With recursion_limit 2 or higher a simple ambient sphere in a box
produces a very strange illumination.

If you run the appended script you will see very distinct vertical and
horizontal bright bands on the surfaces, of the same width as the
sphere.

Reducing the error_bound makes the edges of the bands sharper,
increasing count makes them more even.

Using a single box as the container gives much wider illuminated bands,
less easy to see.

The script gives an identical result with MegaPov 0.7.

Bye for now,
	Mike Andrews.

// start of script
// +w160 +h120 -a